Mirroring your laptop’s display on the television is quite simple. This can be done in many ways – both wirelessly and with wires. The most reliable way of connecting laptop or computer to TV is using the wired method that requires an HDMI cable and adapter. A standard HDMI cable is the most trusted method to get your PC’s screen onto your TV. However, you can sometimes face problems without any notice and without any changes made in the laptop’s settings. One such problem is the laptop to HDMI sound not working or NO sound coming out of the TV speakers when you play a video or movie.
HDMI Sound Not Working On TV? Check Solutions to fix it
If you come across this error, don’t be alarmed or worried because there are tried and tested tricks and methods to fix this problem. Here, we show simple solutions to deal with the ‘HDMI Sound Not Working’ error that occurs when connecting your laptop to a television using HDMI cable.
Solution 1: Set HDMI Device as the Default Audio Device
If your HDMI device is not set to the system’s default device, it is possible that you will not hear the sound from the HDMI output. Follow the below-listed steps to set the HDMI device as the default device and this should help in fixing the HDMI sound not working error.
- Right click on the sound volume icon appearing in the lower right corner of Windows. You will be able to see a context menu.
- Select Playback Devices from the context menu.
- From the tab appearing for Playback, choose the option for Digital Output Device or HDMI. Click on the option of Set Default and your HDMI sound output is set as default.
- In case, you don’t see the HDMI option, you can try right-clicking on the blank space and select ‘Show disconnected devices’ and ‘Show disabled devices’ and then set it as the default device.
Solution 2: Update Sound Drivers
If the first method does not work for the ‘HDMI sound not working’ problem, there is a possibility that it is being caused by outdated drivers. Follow these steps to update your system’s sound driver:
- In the start screen of Windows, click on the ‘Desktop’ feature.
- Click and hold Windows button along with button ‘X’.
- This pops up a context menu from which you can select ‘Device Manager’ feature.
- On the left side of the window, you can see the sound driver and right click on it to see ‘Update driver software’ feature. Click this option to start the update of sound driver.
- You can alternatively use third-party tools for automatic download and update of sound drivers on the Windows system.
- After you reboot your system, your computer should have the latest version of sound drivers and your sound should work through HDMI cable to the television.
Solution 3: Check for working of hardware devices
If the above-mentioned solutions do not work for you, it is possible that the no sound error is caused by damaged hardware devices. To find this out, check if all your hardware devices are functioning properly.
- Check for the cable. Try replacing the cable to see if the problem gets resolved.
- Test the output port. If your computer or laptop has multiple HDMI output ports, you can try using different ports to see if the error gets solved.
- Check the monitor working. Ensure that the speaker volume of the monitor is adjusted properly. It may have been lowered down or muted. Check this and try connecting your monitor to some other system.
If any of these solutions do not work for you, there are chances that your laptop or TV does not support HDMI audio output and you need to connect the laptop directly to a sound system to have the sound audible on the television.
After following these methods, you should get your ‘HDMI No Sound’ error or laptop to hdmi sound not working resolved and get your sound up and be running quickly.